Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Taking the High Road

Today was an intense day. The source of all my problems (we'll call her Speedy) had been asked a few weeks ago to help compile a list to help me to improve how I send out mailings.

On second thought, I will clarify. Over a month ago I requested the assistance of several individuals in Speedy's department, specifically bearing in mind that Speedy has the propensity to take on more responsibilities than she should, much to the shagrin of others.

Well, it turns out, Speedy did exactly as I dreaded she might (yet hoped she would not), and took control of the project.

Today, one of my friends asked if I had instructed Speedy to delegate as she had begun to do, and expressed she didn't appreciate the extra workload this was creating for her...

Needless to say, Speedy's actions, and being caught off-guard by this question made my blood boil. The longer I mulled it over and over in my mind during the day, the more frustrated and bothered I became.

You see, Speedy treats me like she does most others - as though I were incompetent. I have repeatedly observed her treat others I know she has no respect for this way by walking all over these individuals. I know, consequently, she thinks the same way about me. The difference in my case is that I am a strong individual, and will not be steamrolled.

Now, perhaps the situation would have worked better for all, had Speedy included me in any of the authoritative decisions she were making, however, she didn't, I therefore needed to to take charge of the situation before it had the potential to get worse, for me.

So, I constructed a cool, calm, thoughtfully written email, which I sent to Speedy.

I proceeded to thank her for her efforts to help me with my project, and explained that I felt it was too much to ask everyone else in her department to take on additional responsibilities. I expressed that all I needed from her was the information she had collected. We went back and forth a few times until my boss was copied by Speedy, at which point she got involved, and then served as a mediator, and convinced Speedy to relinquish her control.

How sad.

I will admit, I too can be controlling when it comes to certain things - I like things done in a way that makes logical sense to me. When situations get so complicated it's not even worth the effort, well, then that's rather pointless, if you ask me. So, I'd rather do it myself.

My point is, it seems like such a waste of time to be sloppy.

After the days' events, it appears all has been rectified. After realizing there were "too many hands on the project", the responsibility was placed back on my lap, which I am fine with. I welcome the challenge, and in all honesty, I'd rather do things right, and not have to clean up after other people's messes.

Before the day ended, I went to see Speedy and said "I just want to thank you for all of your effort in helping get this project rolling. I know it's been frustrating, but I appreciate your efforts." Speedy nodded, and grunted, "it's cool."

How eloquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment